12/13/18 - Upcoming Client Updates

• Director

Hello, just wanted to let everyone know what we have planned next for upcoming updates.

Also, please post below if there is anything else that needs to be fixed on the client before we release an update in the next few days.

Upcoming:

Java 11 Support - Our main problem with this was our UI did not support Java 11, but we've found a way to make it happen, this will hopefully be good to go in the next update, so you'll be able to install the default version of JDK now to run the client.

High DPI display fixes (4k resolutions, etc) - We have also fixed issues with 4k resolutions appearing extremely small. This was due again to the UI library that we have, but we have been able to update it to now scale and support 4k resolutions.

alt text
    This is the client running on my 4k laptop resolution.

There are a few things to fix with the UI updates, such as the title pane, and icon placement, but hopefully we will have this done soon.

RSPeer username and password not working on quick launch - This will be fixed as well.

If you have anything else that should be included in the next update, please post below.

• the high DPI update is a fucking godsend i can throw my magnifying glass away

• Director

@runehane said in 12/13/18 - Upcoming Client Updates:

the high DPI update is a fucking godsend i can throw my magnifying glass away

lmao ikr

• Script Writer

@MadDev Could you make sure the repository compiler has the javafx library included so scripts that include javafx will be supported and not get declined when uploaded to the repo?

Also, there are a few client bugs reported on the GitHub issues if you haven't already seen those.

• Director

@sphiinx JavaFX isn't really a bug fix, its more of a feature. Not sure if that will be included.

• @MadDev So you're going to force anyone using javafx to rewrite there user interface? When you could easily include the Java 11+ JFX library in the compiler and applications classpath... I thought one of your selling points was including popular libraries for developers...

• Script Developer Sponsor Staff Director

@Cloud Not included in this particular update doesn't mean it won't ever be included.

I've also heard something about JavaFX being removed from future JDKs

• @Spencer said in 12/13/18 - Upcoming Client Updates:

@Cloud Not included in this particular update doesn't mean it won't ever be included.

I've also heard something about JavaFX being removed from future JDKs

It's removed from JDK 11+ by default so that it's development cycle doesn't have to be tied to the release schedule of JDK releases. It's a simple dependency that works as a drop in replacement, no breaking compatibility changes that I'm aware of. JavaFX allows you to design interfaces that provide significantly nicer user experiences in a way that most people with design experience should find familiar. Unlike the other libraries available in the java ecosystem, developing with it gives you extreme levels of control while not having to sacrifice the benefits provided by hardware acceleration.

• Director

@Cloud @sphiinx Everything is compiled with JDK 8 at the moment, so I'm actually curious on why it doesn't work... it should? I feel like some people have had JavaFX interfaces.

• Script Writer

@MadDev said in 12/13/18 - Upcoming Client Updates:

@Cloud @sphiinx Everything is compiled with JDK 8 at the moment, so I'm actually curious on why it doesn't work... it should? I feel like some people have had JavaFX interfaces.

JavaFX works fine in a local script. The issue seems to be when it's uploaded to the repository. It fails to compile stating it cannot find the javafx imports which is what doesn't make sense to me either since it's included in JDK 8.

I don't believe anyone has gotten javafx to work in a repository script, only local scripts which don't have any issues.

Example: I tested this in which it told me it couldn't find the javafx imports.
    Failed to compile script, errors: ./api/fxui/FXGUIBuilder.java:3: error: package javafx.application does not existimport javafx.application.Application; ^./api

• Script Writer

@sphiinx Why would you want to use JavaFX to build a GUI anyway? It's not like you're going to make a super complex GUI or anything. Swing provides everything you need to build a script GUI in my opinion, since you're not building an interface based desktop application.

• Any idea if (and if so when) script arguments input in the Script selector window will be included?

• @buracc said in 12/13/18 - Upcoming Client Updates:

@sphiinx Why would you want to use JavaFX to build a GUI anyway? It's not like you're going to make a super complex GUI or anything. Swing provides everything you need to build a script GUI in my opinion, since you're not building an interface based desktop application.

JavaFX makes it easier to make a GUI look professional and clean and is easier to maintain imho. I Agree Swing provides all the necessary tools to create a GUI, but it would be very nice to let be up to the scripter, which of the two he/she wants to use.

• Script Writer

@buracc said in 12/13/18 - Upcoming Client Updates:

@afro 's response explained my thoughts perfectly.

Users

Topics